For over 30 years, Applewood Centers has been providing on-site programs to schools systems in Cuyahoga and Lorain counties, including Cleveland Municipal School District, charter schools, and throughout the Maple Heights, Warrensville Heights, and Richmond Heights districts. All school programs are provided by licensed therapists and counselors.
The School-Based Counseling program is offered to students through grade 12 and is specifically beneficial to those who may have the following issues:
- Parent-child or child-sibling relations
- Attention deficit related problems
- Oppositional behaviors
- Depression, anxiety and/or self-esteem issues
- Domestic violence and/or abuse
- Attachment disorders
- Grief and loss
- Trauma-focused issues
- School-related issues
- Adoption and foster care adjustment issues
How the Program Works
Services are delivered to students in a variety of ways. Each service may be selected individually or bundled to meet the specific needs of the students, faculty or families.
- Individual Counseling provided at school addresses specific behavioral and emotional issues. In-home counseling is available as needed.
- Group Counseling sessions are aimed at skill building and focus on specific topics. This format encourages cooperation and sharing among peers in a structured setting.
- Prevention Groups help students make better choices. Topics include anger management, Peacemakers Violence Prevention program, social skills, and those covering gender-specific issues.
- Classroom Presentations are offered on topics such as building self-esteem, conflict resolution, leadership skills, grief and bereavement.
We involve the family throughout treatment. Parent advisory sessions are geared to assist with the development of parenting strategies and linkage to other community resources. Family intervention sessions include the student and family. Families can also receive services in the home.
In response to crisis, tragedy or natural disaster, we collaborate with school personnel in providing group interventions and support in areas including grief, bereavement and emotional trauma.
Our therapists and counselors are able to support faculty with a variety of interventions through the following initiatives:
- Team Meetings include teachers, administrators and other staff who discuss the needs of students and other issues affecting the classroom or student groups.
- Teacher Consultation is provided individually or in groups, and helps teachers identify classroom interventions, aids in developing plans to address difficult students, and provides referral to other community resources.
- Teacher Training on selected topics of interest regarding child and adolescent mental health.
Cuyahoga County 216-521-6511
Lorain County 440-324-1300
To download a brochure about Applewood Centers School-Based Counseling services click here.